Thursday, October 4, 2007

Field Trip!

Today Hunter's class took a field trip. There were 11 kids & 5 adults & let me tell you it was an adventure. I was in charge of two kids, Hunter & D - it was fun. We walked to the Dart Rail & then walked probably 6 stories under ground and rode the mass transit train down to the West End, had a picnic lunch, ice cream and headed back. Everything went fine for me, until we had to go to the surface. The first set of stairs - probably 2 stories was fine, we walked up the stairs. The second set of stairs - I think it was really 4 stories up the kids wanted to ride the escalator. YEA, you say. NO NO NO. I am terrified of heights. Now I'm sure most of you are thinking well, your going up its looking down that's the problem.

NO, NO, NO, this is not true. When I'm up and looking down and going down an escalator, I know I am getting closer to the bottom and that's OK, however when I'm going up I know that I am getting farther and farther from the ground and that's not good. I couldn't hold on to the rails because I had a kid holding each hand and by the time we got 3/4 of the way up I was almost on my knees and was holding on to sanity with my last breath. I started to hyperventilate while we were getting to the elevator - the full blown panic attack happened in the elevator. By the time we truly got to the surface I was better.

I'll probably have nightmares about heights tonight. Yippee!!

1 comment:

Judy said...

Maybe you should give up the volunteer supervision of kids. Let the daredevil mother handle it.